Sunday, February 13, 2011

Million $ Baby!


This past weekend, we saw Million dollar baby on Netflix. I know that movie was an academy award winner and all, but I really don't care too much about boxing movies and never really cared to see it earlier.

This movie is really not much about boxing, well although the 'million $ girl' is a fighter/boxer - the movie is more about passion and about achieving your dream/s. Her determination to do what she wanted was really inspirational. I just loved the movie overall, loved the direction and acting by Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and of course the lady Hillary Swank.

She achieves everything she ever wanted in life (i.e to be a fighter) and get trained by the most talented boxing trainer, but somehow the ending of the movie made me feel bad and somehow felt the ending wasn't correct. To state it briefly, she get's injured severely during the final championship for the ultimate title and breaks almost every bone in her body. She ends up in the hospital and pleads her 'boss', the trainer, to put her to rest saying that she doesn't have any regrets and that she has achieved whatever she wanted. The boss injects a serum into her and within minutes she passes away peacefully in her sleep.

I guess being used to more bollywood movies where the ending is almost always happy, I just wasn't happy with the ending! I had a 2 hr discussion with my husband about the ending after seeing the movie that night.  After the discussions with my husband, I realized that despite your best efforts, sometimes you may not achieve your 'ultimate goal' (in her case, the title for the championship) but you may have already achieved success/happiness when you have taken the path of your passion and your dreams. 

Anyway, I learned something from this movie and it will always be one of those movies that has touched me emotionally and I encourage everyone who hasn't seen it yet to go get the DVD.  

No comments: